Friday, March 19, 2010

[ young artists of china ]

So, the last three weeks or so have been kind of busy :) Let me catch you up...

Three weeks ago we hosted two of the leaders that were here from Inner Mongolia for a choir and dance special presentation at BYUH. It turned out to be a really fun experience, but I thought Doug might kill me when I was like, yeah, they are actually older men (we were expecting kids) and they don't speak a word of English (usually the kids speak decent English). Needless to say it was a very interesting experience. They ended up to be really nice and mainly we just had them for breakfast and dropped them off after that, and then picked them up around 9pm. They were pretty busy. In the morning I just took out every single thing that looked breakfast related and put it on the counter and then they just picked and made what they wanted. What did they choose you ask? Fried eggs, cereal and milk, toast with jam, and oatmeal. Pretty easy. The last morning they were here we took them to Hukilau Cafe and they got a loco moco and spam and rice :) and ate them all. I think they must have been full all day. My friend that was there translating for us said that it's rude in their culture not to eat everything so she said they didn't have to... You know you all miss this place if you're not on this lovely island anymore :)
Luckily the one night we had them for dinner my friend Peipei that speaks Chinese and her friend came over to help translate for the night and to cook a delicious dinner. We went to Foodland together to get some shrimp and then went home and made garlic shrimp, some rice, american salad, they made spring rolls and we had a feast. it was sooo delicous :) Thanks Peipei!! And i really loved to have them around because they wouldn't let me do anything because I was pregnant. They wanted to do it all for me. Called me the Panda I think. I think Peipei said it meant like deserves respect or something like that. In any case, can't say I minded :) It really was a great experience and we had some fun. I hope they did too!

 Wei Zhang choreographer/teacher and Qinglin Chu the Vice Headmastr

No comments:

Post a Comment